Join Bridge Winners
Picking up a bad trump break...
(Page of 3)

Here is yet another one where I had the right idea but got the execution a little bit wrong... I thought both problems might be interesting to advancing players, even if more experienced players might consider both obvious.

Forgive me for the overbid - I consider myself an honorary junior and hope to grow up someday before too long :)

West
J742
AK7
North
AKQ53
AK3
J4
A106
East
J542
J752
South
Q
Q10932
KQ983
W
N
E
S
P
P
2NT
P
P
3NT
P
P
P
P
D
5 South
NS: 0 EW: 0

4NT would have been a weaker 55 slam try, more appropriate to this hand on strength and not putting us in a situation where we didn't have a clear path to play 5NT if partner doesn't want to bid a slam. (5 would have been a 55 slam force).

The A was led, I played small from dummy and E followed with the 8 playing standard. W continued with the K and another diamond. With E encouraging diamonds in this layout I feared a ruff. Flying the A seemed like far too big a commitment. But the T seemed affordable. I ruffed with the T and saw that the ruff was unnecessary. 

Now I have more than enough winners, all that remains is to not lose a trump. I cash dummy's A and both followed low, then played a club to the K and RHO pitched a heart. Well that's not good. But its not too bad either, I had a plan... think about your plan...

So here is the remaining position, E holding J7 of trumps:

North
AKQ53
AK3
South
Q
Q10
Q98

This looked just like a hand from a book. Even though I don't have another trump in dummy to take the marked finesse, I can just run dummy's winners. The only problem is that I have one trump too many so I need to shorten my own trumps so that I am not forced to ruff and lead a trump out of my hand if E just pitches on dummy's winners. I have plenty of transportation to make this work.

So, unblock the Q, spade to dummy, ruff the K, another spade to dummy, A pitching a diamond, Q pitching a diamond and now I am down to only two trumps in hand, with two trumps remaining with E who is forced to ruff the 4th round of spades. I overruff and take the J with my Q on the last trick, making the contract. Its always better to make than to go down, even if in this case I had put is in an awful matchpoint contract and it was only worth half a matchpoint to make.

Apart from the bidding nicely done?

Before you answer, think about whether there was there a better way...

No, not so nicely done.

An extra ruff in my hand to set up the trump coup was correct, but there was a better way.

I had so many winners there was no need to unblock the Q. I can play the Q to the A, pitch a spade on the K, ruff the small heart, and then run spades.

I guess the moral of the story is to ruff dummy's losers, not dummy's winners :)

14 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...

Bottom Home Top