Join Bridge Winners
My First Platinum
(Page of 3)

In the Reno Silver Pairs, partner and I had a 55% game for my very first platinum point. Instead of regaling you with stories of our brilliant play, here's one where we got a bit lucky:

Neither vulnerable. I was West, but take the North cards:

North
AKQ75
AJ108532
W
N
E
S

West opens 1. Your call?

North
AKQ75
AJ108532
W
N
E
S
X
3NT

Some number of hearts, or Michaels are certainly possible, but our North chose to double. It went 1, 2, 3NT and back to you. What now? (If you X the 3NT, West runs to 4 and it's your turn again.)

What's going on? West must have a heart stopper (KQ or Kx) plus a source of tricks in the minors. If partner has the Q, then the finesse is on, and we should be able to make 6, right? Our North jumped directly to the apparently cold 6.

Sorry, no. West leads and continues clubs. You're stuck on the board. At our table, South realized that West was void in spades, so she tried the A.  100 our way was worth most of the matchpoints.

West
K4
AKQ9542
North
AKQ75
AJ108532
East
KQ8543
South
J1042
Q976
AJ7
J6
W
N
E
S
X
3NT
P
P
X
P
P
P
D
6X South
NS: 0 EW: 0
A
K
J
A

After the play, North (not having perceived the problem) proceeded to castigate South for not using the J as en entry for the marked heart finesse. 

I'm sorry to say this was just one example of several where seeded pairs displayed less than ideal decorum in the NABC+ events. At another seed table, my RHO took a phantom save in 6 for a bottom, and then explained to his partner that his save would have been a good one "if either of the opponents (that's us) had their bid."

4 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...

Bottom Home Top