Join Bridge Winners
Do you agree with this ruling?

After a bad day and not Qing in the 10ks, we decided to take a break and indulge pard's desire to try a gold rush event (he has never done one, he has about 400 masterpoints and I have about 200).

Here is the situation that arose where I felt we were damaged by UI:

East
AKQ742
A643
K10
W
N
E
S
P
P
4NT
P
P
P
P
P

Putting aside West's bizarre raise of East's weak bid with a minimum and two card support, and ignoring whether NS briefly had MI, I called for the director after the auction because I felt that East's 4NT bid was made more attractive by the knowledge that West a) didn't know E had a strong hand and b) the unusual raise of a bid that West thought was preemptive. After EW made 12 tricks and I had seen the hand, I called the director back and said that I thought bidding 4S was a logical alternative with the East hand.

I know it may be hard for this community to put themselves in the head of this level of players. I don't know the auctions but the board was played 7 other times:

Once in 6S

Four times in 4S

Once in 3S

Once in 2S

The crux of the ruling seems to me to be whether it is a logical alternative to bid 4S if pard has explained your jump shift as strong. While not everyone had the same auction, it seems to me that the results at the table are, in the absence of a poll, prima facia evidence that the E hand is not an automatic slam drive.

Assume no agreement about continuations after a strong jump shift; the 4NT bid was regular blackwood I think.

W had opened 1D with 95, AT74, KQJ7, J54

N had overcalled 1H on T6, KQJ32, 85, A976 

So the I imagine the same auction may have occurred to E at a few tables, and only one other table reached slam.

I think judging what is a logical alternative can be very hard for pairs at this level but I would love to get your thoughts. What would you rule and why?

While I disagree with the director's ruling in letting the table result stand on this board, I do think she did a very nice job running the game overall. That may be more important than a few matchpoints here or there for this game, but I do wish more effort went into educating players at this level on these issues.

16 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...

Bottom Home Top