Join Bridge Winners
Should I stay or should I go?

Playing at IMPs, all VUL, LHO dealt and opened with a multicolor 2 bid meaning either a weak two in a major, a strong balanced hand with 22-23 HCP or a minor with 5 losers.

Our agreements here were the following:

  • With a small balanced hand (13-15 HCP) or with a strong hand (18+ HCP) we double.
  • If we have a good suit with fair opening values we bid it immediately.
  • With 16-18 HCP BAL and stoppers in both majors we bid 2NT.
  • Else we wait and see how the bidding evolves.

Partner passed and RHO made a pass/correct bid of 2.

I was looking at this hand:

South
AQ954
K
KQ432
J9
W
N
E
S
2
P
2
?

I considered two options: either enter the bidding with a 2 bid or passing (I must confess I was a bit afraid of a double in case EW had the spades).

Also I rejected the 4 bid (Leaping Michaels) because I thought I was to weak for such a bid, so I opted for waiting for a reopening from partner, which occurred and the happy end came in the form of 4 bid and made.

So, should i bid spades or should i wait?  

Thanks in advance

25 Comments
Getting Comments... loading...
.

Bottom Home Top